Monday, August 21, 2017

Going the Distance: When our stressings become our blessings! A whole new world!



At the age of 85, Dr. Carl O. Helvie is still thriving as a lung cancer survivor who was told he had 6 months to live over 40 years ago. I sent him a birthday wish on Facebook. He thanked me and told me that he has a link to the interview I did with him in his latest book in a chapter on Faith.

I had no idea that the interview was still available! I listened again to the interview before mine with Dr. Harold G. Koenig. Dr. Koenig is a psychiatrist who heads up research on spirituality and healing at Duke University.

I listened to my interview again. What a blessing to experience Carl's gentle Spirit and compassion while bringing forth my story to inspire others. We talked about faith, gratitude, and my journey with the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome, a progressive neuromuscular disease by Western Medicine standards. We talked about how poetry helped me to transform my life, healing my life through the power of my pen, my Divining rod for healing as inspirational poetry poured out of me once I got still and asked for Divine Guidance shortly after receiving the diagnosis.

In both interviews, Carl addressed how people get to choose what path they want to take in the wake of a diagnosis and the role that spirituality plays in that choice.

I was initially devastated by the diagnosis and the recommendation that I leave my award winning career as a VA social worker. But then, in February of 2007, a whole new world opened before me as I tapped the creative part of my soul, reconnected with God in my life and ignited the flame of possibility that I could and would live a vibrant and full life regardless of appearances.

Gratitude and appreciation, taking absolutely nothing for granted and embracing what was happening to me were the keys to opening the door to my whole new world.

I was grateful for the gift of polio in my life and then the gift of Post-Polio Syndrome that led me to the path of healing and wellness and to discovering the sport of running in my life!

Talk about a blessing! I've met the most amazing people, developed incredible friendships, run with champions and incorporated travel with the joy of races.

As I continue to challenge myself, and share my healing story, I inspire others and let people know, as Carl has, that a diagnosis does not define or dictate our health outcomes. We get to choose our path!

A Well Chosen Path from "Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life":

PPS, MS, cancer stroke and more
many diagnoses exist in the doctor’s store
does diagnosis shape and a cripple does it make
or do I use the pain to choose the path I want to take?

No matter what the outcome there’s no way I can fail
for when I take the hand of God through adversity I sail.
The body is imperfect but my soul is shining free
there’s never any limit to the true essence of me.
I get in tune and get in step knowing every limb is healed
running wildly with the wind embracing flowers in the field.

I love myself beyond all words a message says to live
and from my open grateful heart to others do I give.


Life challenges us! Often times we would prefer to not have the challenges but when we embrace them, allow them to transform and awaken us, the door to a whole new world opens before us.

Go the distance with strength and courage!
~Mary

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):





No comments:

Post a Comment