Sunday, October 8, 2017

Countdown to Bermuda: Hot Hot Hot Double Digits - Ten Terrific Miles



Note to self - It is so important to dress for the weather, not the date on the calendar.

We opened our front door to check the weather and it was chilly. Since we were planning to run by the harbor, we figured it would be even cooler. I changed out of my sleeveless shirt (thank goodness I left on my shorts) into my navy blue 2016 Bermuda Half Marathon t shirt. We packed up our gear (and fortunately I had frozen the water bottles) and drove to Castle Island to begin our 10 mile training run on the road to Bermuda Marathon Weekend. The countdown clock tells me it's 96 days until race weekend; 98 days until Team McManus runs Bermuda Marathon III.

Yesterday morning Facebook reminded me of how Bermuda Marathon Weekend came to be on my bucket list starting with this quote: "When a defining moment comes along, you can do one of
two things. Define the moment, or let the moment define you." --Tin Cup (the movie)

Linda Mitchell You are an inspiration of your defining moment Ms Mary!

Mary McManus Aww thank you Lady Linda -- and you were the eyewitness to it all unfolding - xoxo

Linda Mitchell ...and you are a running inspiration...I keep wondering if I am going to make it through my first 5K, the SGK race for cure in O'ahu on the 17th and then I see all that you run and know I can!!! Someday though you and me still have some unfinished business! That run on the beach in Bermuda!!!! Or we can do the Bermuda Marathon weekend in January some year!

Mary McManus I just got goosebumps Linda and before I even finished reading when you said we have unfinished business I knew exactly what you were gonna say -- yup -- we have to run that beach in Bermuda or better yet - when do you turn 60 girlfriend 'cuz I'm planning on doing another marathon for my 60th - you up for it? If we do run the Bermuda Marathon how oh how will I ever find a travel agent to help me make the arrangements? lol

You are gonna do great Linda in the 5K -- no worries -- you are so fit and I know you have been training and I'm so glad that you can use me for some good ol' fashioned inspiration!

Huge hug

Linda Mitchell Wow what a GREAT idea!!! I turn 60 on August 26 2012 which I think is well before you!! Thanks for the encouragement! I have become super strong in the past year doing all sorts of training I never did! Just recently started running though but I am up for this! Lets do lunch when I get back from Hawaii and YES you let me know the date and I will find us that travel agent to help us! TEE HEE!

Mary McManus Oh how awesome! I'll be 60 in 2013 - we are pretty close in age sweetie -- so if we did the Bermuda Marathon in January of 2013 we'd be celebrating the big 6 - 0. Whew I am so glad you can find a good travel agent - ones with integrity and service and value are so hard to find these days - wink wink. I'd love to do lunch Linda -- can't wait to see photos of Hawaii. God bless you my friend. xoxoxo


Linda Mitchell was our Bermuda travel agent. After I was diagnosed with Post-Polio Syndrome, she suggested that I visualize running along a beach in Bermuda to inspire my body to heal. I didn't even know how to begin to imagine myself running along a beach so I watched the movie Forrest Gump .... and then I wrote the poem "Running the Race."

Linda and I have lost touch but I took the healing suggestions she offered me and I well, ran with them!

Life happened and I took the Bermuda Marathon Weekend off my bucket list until Finish at the 50 5K's Race Expo in 2015 when I met the Race Director....and here we are training for Bermuda Half Marathon III.

It was surprisingly warm for October 7th in Boston especially by the Harbor where one would expect a sea breeze. The cloud cover broke and the sun was hot. I thought I might need to take off my shirt at some point and run in my sports bra and shorts but my arm band was chafing so I had to leave on my shirt to avoid more damage on my arm.

There was a lot of activity around Castle Island and along Day Boulevard.

There was a run/walk for research for pancreatic cancer with the theme "Hope".

What a festive atmosphere complete with balloons and a start/finish line blaring music.



It reminded me of the music that plays along the Bermuda Marathon course:


"Here ma give me your hand."

I gave Ruth Anne my hand as she proceeded to raise our arms high as though we had just finished a race.

"Put that down," I told her but she and Tom celebrated as though we had just crossed the finish line of our race. We weren't even to the halfway mark of our 10 mile run yet and we ignited the excitement in the runners/walkers who had just finished their race for the day.

We ran by the JFK Library and U Mass Boston almost to Morrissey Boulevard making a mental note that if we are going to do this route again we need to run at least twice around the castle to take us to the halfway point without having to "play in traffic" while running.

We took in the spectacular views of the ocean dotted with seagulls and the skyline of Boston.

Monarch butterflies accompanied us on our run; the ultimate symbol of transformation.

We were pouring sweat doing negative splits on the back 5 miles of our run.

At about mile 8.5 as we passed the Columbia Yacht Club, the smell of BBQ teased us. They were having an end of season cookout as they were taking their boats out of the water. The sights and smells, along with the warm temperature were more reminiscent of summer than Columbus Day Weekend. We soldiered on allowing nothing to distract us from our goal.

As we were coming into our final mile, Ruth Anne said that we needed to finish strong. Although my feet were swollen and I was tired, I know that we are training not just my body to run 13.1 miles but also my heart, my mind and my soul. We were at our car and needed to calculate how much more out and back we needed to run to finish. Ruth Anne was in charge of pacing and letting us know when we could turn around. Tom and I pestered her about every 5 seconds to find out about our pace and our distance.

When we arrived at our car at 10.09 miles Nike+ congratulated us and said we had run even more miles this week than last week. We were accompanied by music, monarchs and the scent and sounds of the seashore on this hot hot hot double digit run.

One more week of 10 miles and then we slowly increase our mileage by .5 miles every other week.

We are counting down to Bermuda while training mind, body and soul to once again go the distance. Each week is an adventure blessed by God. As one of my friend's advised me, "Stay strong, healthy and fit and in less than 100 days you'll be running in Paradise."



To going the distance with strength and courage
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Be sure to listen to my interview with Keith Cartwright, "From Polio Survivor to Boston Marathon Finisher" by following this link.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):










No comments:

Post a Comment