Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Countdown to Bermuda: The Next Time I Run Double Digits....

it will be on January 14th, 2018!



Team McManus deposited 12 miles in the Bank of Bermuda last Saturday.

While it may seem to some too early to begin a taper for our Bermuda Half Marathon, I know in every fiber of my being that it's time to cut back on miles and focus on our mental training for our goal race.

I planned out an accelerated increase of miles for training this year to ensure that we would get in the miles before colder (and possibly slippery and sloppy) weather set in.

I am so glad we did!

I can feel how my body is ready to retreat from the weekly long runs and recover from the grueling training regimen in preparation to go the distance on January 14th.

During my cardio workout at the gym on the Bike and Arc Trainer, I had to remind myself that it's time to balance getting in a solid work out but not pushing myself as I had since we embarked on this training adventure in May. When I trained for the 2017 Bermuda Half Marathon, I scaled back on the cross training once we increased miles. This year I pushed myself to build strength and cardiovascular conditioning using the equipment at the gym. I did end up doing more miles this week than last week but I was mindful to exert less effort. I am going to need that mindfulness when the starting gun goes off to ensure that I do not go out too fast as I did last year and then tanked at mile 10 with muscle spasms. However, I did push through and finished the race.

I have the course map printed out:


and in our training journal.

While I was on the Arc Trainer today I began to imagine the course mile by mile erasing the memory from last year and seeing and feeling the joy of sharing the course this year with Ruth Anne.

I reminded myself that I am trained. I am ready and I am also ready to take time to taper physically and amp up the mental training. The work of Dr. Joe Dispenza inspires me every day. I can place total confidence in the work I have done and how the mental work will influence the outcome on race day.

Coincidentally, this post from 2015 was one of my Facebook memories today. "I AM the Placebo: An 11 Mile Run - I Am Ready for Bermuda."

I am ready... Team McManus is ready...These next several weeks will be spent enjoying the holidays, going through my checklist of preparation for travel and race day and to let the excitement build while we taper.

The next time we run double digits will be on January 14th 2018...what an awesome way to ring in a new year.

To going the distance with strength and courage
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):

No comments:

Post a Comment