Friday, February 2, 2018

On Lighthouses and Healing



When we arrived at the Fairmont Southampton Princess for Bermuda Marathon Weekend we were asked if we wanted to upgrade our room with an ocean view. We declined. Instead of an ocean view, we had the view of Gibbs Lighthouse in the distance (pictured at the end of the quotes above).

As I lay in bed mentally preparing for our 13.1 mile run on Sunday, I reflected on the wonderful symbol of the lighthouse beckoning me toward the light and to be a light for others. As I wrestled with fears, I kept my heart turning toward the light knowing and trusting that I would and could go the distance. I had to remind myself of all the healing that I have created in my life. As long as I surrendered to the Divine, I knew everything would be fine.

Sometimes, when I don't have the next big thing on my race calendar, I forget the miracles of healing I have already created in my life. I remind myself to experience the joy of recovery and the joy of creation. I remind myself how I overcame my past and the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome to transform and heal my life. I created a runner and became a part of the sport that is my medicine, my therapy and a beautiful village.

Every finish line is a starting line. After crossing the finish line of the 2018 Bermuda Half Marathon, I am at a new starting line of my healing journey. I am going to experience new ways of challenging myself and discovering new ways of Being in my body. What a thrill to have had so many running adventures and more to come I'm sure but with shorter distances for now. As I said to my personal trainer in February of 2008 when she asked me what my next goals were after 6 months of working with her, "I want to dance. I want to feel unencumbered and free in my body...." Of course the next thing I said were words that fell out of my mouth from deep in my soul without giving them a second thought, "And I want to run the 2009 Boston Marathon for Spaulding Rehab." What a beacon of light and hope I am for having taken on the challenge of running Boston shortly after having been told I'd spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair!

It's time to go back and revisit the dancing...unencumbered and free part of my declaration of goals for health and fitness.

For while I have achieved miraculous goals, I continue to transform how I feel living inside this earthly home. Memories that used to run rampant without awareness wreaking dis-ease and havoc, are now in my awareness where they are able to heal.

I remind myself that whatever happened to me is no match for the Divine who created me, is within me and all around me and complete healing is mine. (Why do I feel as though I should insert bwahaha here?)

As I pause and reflect on this fantastic healing journey from the effects of paralytic polio and trauma, my heart overflows with gratitude. It was by Divine design that I could see the lighthouse just beyond our porch through the picture window in our room. When we ate at Boundary Sports Bar and Grille after our triumphant run, we were in the light beams of Gibbs Lighthouse as its light revolved in a circle.

I carry that light within me to be an inspiration to others for what is possible and how we can overcome ourselves and our past. That beacon of light continues to guide me home as I take the next steps on my healing journey.

To your health and well being,
From my heart to yours
Mary

Proud to be a part of Friends of Blue Diamond Athletic Displays, Inc.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):

No comments:

Post a Comment