Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Team McManus Party of 1



Yesterday was a cross training/strength training day for Tom and Ruth Anne on their road to RunTheBluegrass. I switched things up in my training schedule and had done my strength training on Monday. Tuesday was supposed to be the pick of the weather week with temps in the 40's. I planned to get an outdoor 5K in on Tuesday and Tom and Ruth Anne were going to get in their early morning run. Schedules shifted around with work demands. Not a problem....I just needed to figure out what I was going to do for my Tuesday workout.

I didn't have a chance to get in an outdoor run last Saturday. I dreaded the thought of another treadmill run or gym workout. The temps were in the 20's. I made the decision to don a double pair of pants this time and just go for it. After all a 5K is only an out and back 1.56 route.

As I headed out the door, a few scattered snowflakes turned into headwind and heavier snow. I've run in snow and cold before and decided to laugh and embrace the run feeling deeply grateful that I am able to get outside and move. I felt a connection to Source and got into the zone of making this run a moving meditation. I focused on wholeness, health, healing and wellness. I imagined how I feel in my body being able to run with ease even though I am still recovering from Bermuda. I let the snowflakes and cold wind sting my face feeling invincible, joyful and grateful.

I embraced the solitude of running alone at my pace with nothing to do but BE in the present moment.

One thought that did cross my mind was, "Why are you out here? Now that you're through with training for Bermuda, there is no rational reason why you would choose to come out and do a 5K in this weather."

I know, right? First of all, if you wait for the perfect time nothing gets done. And second oh yes there is - there are a million reasons for why I choose to lace up my running shoes, get outdoors and get in a run....anyone who is a runner can vouch for that.

Bear in mind that 11 years ago, I was told to prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair. I could barely walk up the stairs in my house without clutching the bannister. I was in a leg brace and used a cane for walking short distances outside and for traveling or navigating stores, I used a wheelchair.

Running outdoors is an incredible gift in my life.



The conditions were challenging. I didn't run that far and I didn't run that fast. None of that mattered.

When I got home after completing a 5K in the cold and snow, I celebrated Team McManus, Party of 1:


To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Proud to be a part of Friends of Blue Diamond Athletic Displays, Inc. Be sure to visit us at Booth 758 during Boston Marathon Weekend.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):






No comments:

Post a Comment