Monday, April 9, 2018

Celebrating National Poetry Month: Home at Last!





The Bridge

Restlessness filled my cells
in the dark quiet of the night
transported to another time and place
to remember
loneliness
coldness
numbness
a black and white photo
a snapshot
knowing even then
I was separate from the walking dead.

Yet I was separate from the living
a wandering stranger
wondering
would I ever find my way
the veil of fog lifted
unveiling the bridge
soft lush green grass
purple wildflowers
vivid colors created by the hand of Divine Love
unbuckled my brace
quietly stepping out of my old shoes
my bare feet tickled
my soul happy and free
the bridge to nowhere
home at last!


Eleven years ago I set out on a quest to heal my life after the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome deemed a progressive neuromuscular disease by Western Medicine standards. In the dark night of my body, mind and soul, a light shone through the power of my pen, my divining rod for healing. I was able to make a shift from the pain of having contracted paralytic polio at age 5 and then having to endure years of violence at the hands of family members to a beautiful future. Out of the rubble of my troubled past, I found the treasure of the me I was always meant to be. Infusing myself with self-love I claimed my right to be happy and free.

My homecoming continues and I continue to heal from the effects of paralytic polio and trauma.

Today I had another phenomenal cardio workout at the gym. I have to wait a little longer to kick my running into high gear as I heal from 3 Bermuda Half Marathons in as many years but I sure can let go while I pedal away. Before my workout, I set the intention to see what my body can do without expectation other than to get in a solid cardio workout and sweat!



When I saw that I was well within striking range of last week's workout, I kicked it into high gear:


As I got off the bike pouring sweat filled with a sense of accomplishment, I swelled with a sense of gratitude for all I am able to do; for my health and wellness and state of well-being after all that I've lived through.

It's great to be home at last!

To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Proud to be a part of Friends of Blue Diamond Athletic Displays, Inc. Be sure to visit us at Booth 758 during Boston Marathon Weekend.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):



No comments:

Post a Comment