Sunday, April 8, 2018

Celebrating National Poetry Month - Just what the doctor ordered - not!



Eleven years after being diagnosed with a progressive neuromuscular disease, and being told that if I used it I would lose it, I am so happy that there is a movement (pun intended) afoot among patients to listen to our bodies and do what feels right. The "old" thinking about Post-Polio Syndrome was that because the nerve cells that tell muscle cells to activate were injured as a result of the polio virus, that as a person ages, they become increasing debilitated since the body can't regenerate. Research is now demonstrating that in fact the body can heal and that the person's intent and visualization play a major role in this process. Research also demonstrates that when a person is more active, they are actually nourishing the neuromuscular system and at the very least slowing down the progression of a disease process.

After my diagnosis I got still and asked for Divine Guidance. I was told to prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair, to quit my award winning career as a VA social worker in order to stabilize symptoms where they were (which wasn't pretty to say the least) and that I'd probably need a sleep apnea machine and a feeding tube since the left side of my esophagus was shutting down as a result of childhood paralytic polio followed by years of violence at the hands of family members.

The answer came through what I call my divining rod for healing, my pen in the form of poetry!

From "Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life":
A Well Chosen Path

PPS, MS, cancer stroke and more
many diagnoses exist in the doctor’s store
does diagnosis shape and a cripple does it make
or do I use the pain to choose the path I want to take?

No matter what the outcome there’s no way I can fail
for when I take the hand of God through adversity I sail.
The body is imperfect but my soul is shining free
there’s never any limit to the true essence of me.
I get in tune and get in step knowing every limb is healed
running wildly with the wind embracing flowers in the field.

I love myself beyond all words a message says to live
and from my open grateful heart to others do I give.


It was cold and blustery yesterday but I knew that I needed to get out for a run. There's been a lot of family stress of late and sometimes all you need is a good run to clear the mind. The cold fresh air, sunshine, being out in nature and feeling our bodies move was just what Tom and I needed. I have turned a corner in my recovery from Bermuda Marathon Weekend. My hip/groin pain is almost completely resolved and my back pain is gone! My Nike+ froze so we just ran still keeping it an easy pace. When all was said and done it was 4 miles out and back along Beacon Street. It was exhilarating to see Boston Marathon runners getting in their last run before Marathon Monday. When the MGH Runners passed us we said, "Last run before the big day!" Tom wore his 2011 Marathon Jacket and I wore my 2009 jacket so they knew we knew the excitement of counting down to Boston and that last run before the big day. With fist pumps in the air they said, "Woo hoo!"

Tom's FitBit let us know that we had done a solid 4 miles. For the first time since Bermuda I felt that I had my runner's mojo back. Tom felt it too.

Yesterday's run was just what the doctor ordered - not ... since 11 years ago I was told to conserve my body and my energy and after a serious knee injury in December 2014 was told to stop running altogether and prepare for a total knee replacement in a few years.

But I knew what my body needed and continue to know what my body needs tapping into the Divine Intelligence within me to go the distance on the roads and in my life.


To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours,
Mary

Proud to be a part of Friends of Blue Diamond Athletic Displays, Inc. Be sure to visit us at Booth 758 during Boston Marathon Weekend.

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


And my latest and greatest book - Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):





No comments:

Post a Comment